Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Digging into some delicious carbs is a shrove Tuesday must! We’ve chosen to whip up a batch of cookies that you’re not going to want to skip for Mardi Gras this year. Kick off with these irresistible purple, green and yellow treats that emulate the style of celebration with our Mardis Gras cookies recipe! We’ve provided a detailed recipe below, complete with steps and photos so you won’t have any trouble serving up these fun and festive cookies for yourself.
Mardi Gras Cookies Recipe for Fat Tuesday
These cookies are everything you need to kick off the celebrations, or just enjoy a little festive treat around this time of year. And, for indulging in something totally irresistible, this is easily one of the most delightful Mardi Gras recipes you can put on the table. Whether it’s a potluck, get together or simple household treat, mix it up with these distinctive beauties.
Rum lovers rejoice! These baked goodies are complete with a luscious dark rum-infused frosting that’s a total showstopper. However, these cookies are totally alcohol-free if you omit the dark rum in the frosting, but they’ll still have that familiar and beloved rum flavor! Rum extract pairs up with powdered sugar and butter to make some of the sweetest and softest cookies you can look forward to enjoying the next time Mardis Gras comes around. These cookies are all about indulging in something fun and delicious, and believe me they’re beyond rich. Whip up a batch for yourself and see how they turn out!
What Alcohol do you Drink With Cookies?
If you’re choosing to indulge in some drinks to go along with these festive treats, our recommendation is to stick with rum! Like things pair well, and this makes a great excuse to explore some dark rums if you haven’t already. If you’re about value, you can use the same rum for the frosting as you do for your cocktails! Cookies are sweet, through and through. These Mardi Gras cookies pair exceptionally well with dark rum, since the molasses sweetness of the rum compliments the powdered sugar and frosting on the cookies. Look out for labels like Kraken, Diplomatico Reserva, and of course Bacardi Gold Rum! For mixers, try a simple ginger ale mixed drink, or kick it up with a Dark and Stormy, Southside or Mojito!
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp rum extract
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium round scooper
- 2 cookie sheets fitted with parchment paper
- ½ C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 ½ C powdered sugar
- Purple, Gold, Green sanding sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheet switch parchment paper
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powder sugar, egg, and rum extract until combined
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients into the wet until a dough forms
- Using the scooper, scoop out some dough onto the cookie sheet
- Gently press the dough down into a thick mound
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown around the edge
- Allow to cool completely
- Using the standing mixer again, beat all frosting ingredients together until smooth and stiff
- Scoop some frosting out onto the cookies and gently spread evenly
- Decorate the top of the cookies with the sanding sugar sprinkles
- Allow the frosting to set before enjoying!