Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
You are going to be so glad you stumbled upon this incredible Cozy Caramel Boozy Hot Chocolate recipe as soon as you take the first sip. It’s an easy drink that is perfect for warming up on those chilly nights.
Whether you are hosting an event with lots of adults who are ready to enjoy some drinks or you are spending a quiet night at home in front of the fire, you aren’t going to want to miss this boozy hot chocolate drink. It’s delicious, warm, and will make you feel comfy and cozy too.
I can honestly say, this is the hot chocolate you grew up siping on. It’s got the perfect amount of booze to keep it interesting, but not so much it knocks you on your butt. 😉 The flavor of the Kahlua paired with the Salted Caramel Liqueur is seriously going to blow your mind. I love sweet drinks and the fact this is warm, takes it to a whole new level.
There are just a handful of ingredients needed for this warm boozy drink. Let’s take a look at what you will need:
- Hot Chocolate Mix – You can use your own homemade hot chocolate mix or buy the pre-packed envelopes. Both are pretty tasty so there is lots of wiggle room here.
- Kahlua – If you are like me, you might want to take a swig or two of the kahlua while you are making the drink. Don’t judge…It’s too good not to!
- Salted Caramel Liqueur – This is what sets this recipe apart from others. When you mix the chocolatey flavor with salted caramel, it’s seriously amazing.
- Whipped cream – Adding some whipped cream will make the hot chocolate look extra elegant and fancy. Plus, who doesn’t love whipped cream?
- Caramel Sauce – To add some extra sweetness and flavor adding some caramel sauce is ideal. It’s so decadent.
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Salted Caramel Liqueur
- Whipped cream
- Caramel Sauce
- Start by preparing the hot chocolate using the packaging instructions. Or if it’s homemade prepare it how you normally would. You can make it in 2 12 ounce mugs or in a small saucepan.
- Pour in 1 ounce of Kahlua into each of the cups along with 1.5 ounces of the caramel liqueur.
- Add some whipped cream on top, sprinkle with hot chocolate mix and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
How To Make Caramel Boozy Hot Chocolate
Just like the ingredients, the directions are super simple to follow too. There aren’t any difficult or weird directions here!
1. Start by preparing the hot chocolate using the packaging instructions. Or if it’s homemade prepare it how you normally would. You can make it in 2 12 ounce mugs or in a small saucepan.
2. Pour in 1 ounce of Kahlua into each of the cups along with 1.5 ounces of the caramel liqueur.
3. Add some whipped cream on top, sprinkle with hot chocolate mix and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
Boozy Hot Chocolate Variations
Just like with most of our recipes, you can easily make some adjustments to add some extra pizzazz to them. This hot cocoa recipe isn’t any different. Here are a few ideas to consider trying out.
- For creamier hot chocolate instead of preparing with water, prepare with milk instead. It’s ultra rich and cream this way.
- Add a few sprinkles of kosher salt on top of the whipped cream before serving. It’s just another way to add even more salty goodness to each sip.
- Dust some cocoa powder on top to have a deeper chocolate color. Plus, it makes it taste richer too.
- There are several brands of salted caramel liqueur and they all offer a little bit different result. We like the Bailey’s Salted Caramel Liqueur or Botegga. They are both going to make the hot cocoa super rich and creamier.
- Add some chocolate sauce before serving. To add even more color and drizzle with both chocolate and caramel syrup. It’s so good!
- Chocolate shavings are a beautiful touch. Shave up some of your favorite chocolate and sprinkle on top. The result is pure heaven!
- In the mood for marshmallows? No problem, you can swap the whipped cream for some mini-marshmallows.
Spiked Hot Cocoa FAQs
How Many Does A Batch Serve?
Each batch of this spiked hot chocolate serves 2 people. If you are planning to serve a bunch of people you can easily multiply the ingredients and make a much larger batch. I recommend keeping the hot chocolate in a slow cooker after it’s been prepared on the warm setting. This will keep it warm without overheating it.
Does This Make A Good Gift?
Yep! It’s a great gift idea. Simply get an over-sized mug and add in some hot chocolate packets, mini liquor bottles, and some caramel sauce. Then attach directions with a ribbon, so they know how to prepare it. Great for birthdays, holidays, and just because!
More Incredible Hot Chocolate Recipes
While you are at it, be sure to try out some of our other hot chocolate recipes. They are all super fun and tasty.