Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
It’s hard to stop sipping on one of these Super Easy Spicy Mulled Cider with a Kick! They are so delicious, have the perfect spicy flavor, and will please even the toughest crowds.
I seriously can’t resist the flavor of chai tea and transforming it into an adult beverage makes it even more fun. While I enjoy a good margarita here and there, a cocktail that is warm has stolen my heart. Not only do they warm you from the inside out, the way it tastes is one of the best things ever.
If you are with friends and family for a tailgating party or are just enjoying an evening by the firepit, a warm mug of spicy mulled cider is a must.
You will only need 4 basic ingredients plus an optional garnish. I love adding the heart shaped garnish because it makes the drink look gourmet and it’s just plain cute! But if you don’t want to include, go ahead and skip that step.
- Apple Juice – The apple juice is going to give this drink a traditional apple cider flavor. It’s sweet and delicious. Just be sure to reach for 100% juice so you can avoid extra sugar.
- Spicy Chai Tea Bags – This chai tea is so good, you can drink it all on its own! That’s why I love it in this fall cocktail. I have a feeling you will too.
- Caramel Liquor – There are many options for caramel liquor, so go with something that you already enjoy. Or try some Kahlua Salted Caramel Liqueur or Godiva Caramel Liqueur if you don’t have a favorite already.
- Brandy – Again, you will want to go with something you know just to ensure that you love it. Hennessy XO has notes of orange, chocolate, and peppery flavors. This is just one option, but it’s a great one.
- Garnish – For a garnish, you will need some whipped cream and cinnamon to complete the look of this spicy mulled cider.
How To Make Spicy Mulled Cider
One thing I always love about making drinks is that there isn’t some long drawn out plan. It’s fast, simple, and quickly comes together without a bunch of fuss.
1. Mix together the apple juice and the spicy chai tea bags in a small saucepan. Slowly bring it to a low simmer using low-medium heat. Allow it to warm all the way through because this allows the tea to release it’s flavors.
2. When the apple cider mixture is warming up, go ahead and take a piece of cardboard and use an exacto knife to cut a heart shape out of it.
NOTE: The cardboard heart doesn’t need to be perfect, so don’t stress over it!
3. Take the tea bags out of the saucepan and pour the liquid into 2 large coffee mugs. Add in 1 ounce of brandy and 1 ounce of caramel liquor into each mug. Stir gently to mix the flavors.
4. Add some whipped cream on top in a thin, flat, layer. Then place the cardboard over the mug. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top and do the same thing to the second mug. Sip and enjoy!
Mulled Cider FAQs
Do I Have To Use Cinnamon As A Garnish?
No! You can completely omit the cinnamon altogether or swap it with another spice of your choice. Nutmeg, allspice, or pumpkin spice would all be pretty tasty options as well. It’s more about the look, so it’s entirely up to you if you want to add anything or not.
When Do You Serve Cider?
Really, you can serve this spiced cider at any event you want. We love to have some grown up drinks when we hand out candy at Halloween or when we are tailgating at the game. But you could also drink it on any chilly fall evening that you are craving it. It’s a festive spiked drink that comes in handy anytime you want it, so go wild!
Can I Use Different Kinds Of Alcohol?
Sure. I recommend sticking with a caramel flavored alcohol for at least one of them because it really helps balance the other flavors. But for the brandy, you could swap it for rum, bourbon, or even a dark tequila. It’s whatever you like.
Still Craving More?
Well, you aren’t alone there! Take a look at these incredible drinks that are also sure to be your new fall favorites:
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 spicy chai tea bags
- 2 oz caramel liqueur
- 2 oz brandy
- Combine apple juice and chai tea bags in a saucepan on the stove. Bring to a low simmer to heat through and release the tea flavors.
- While the apple cider is heating, draw a simple heart, on a piece of boxboard, then cut out with an exacto knife.
- Remove tea bags and split apple cider equally into two large mugs.
- Add 1 oz caramel liqueur and 1 oz brandy to each mug. Stir gently.
- Top with whipped cream, trying to keep the whipped cream flat. Lay boxboard stencil over mug and shake cinnamon onto the heart. Repeat with other mug.